Passengers are allowed to check-in their luggage according to the booked class and the fare class rules. They are also allowed to take with them some small, lightweight objects, with determined dimensions into the airplane cabin: these objects are qualified as hand luggage.
Hand luggage consists of two pieces: one personal article and one carry-on luggage. The carry-on luggage has to fit into the device for hand luggage allowance, situated next to the check-in desks. Please make sure that it does not exceed the following measurements: 114 cm (56 x 35 x 23 cm) or 22'' length x 14'' width x 9'' depth.
In accordance with the safety regulations, passengers may pass the filters or security checkpoints before they access to the restricted safety areas of the airport, as boarding gates and passenger-only zones. These security checkpoints consist of metal-detector arches for the passengers and X-ray detectors for their luggage. Both systems might be carried out manually if the security staff members so decide. If your hand luggage is a personal computer, or another electronic device, you usually will be asked to take it out of its protection case in order to be examined.
Passengers are forbidden from taking articles to the security restricted area -or to aircraft cabin, which might constitute a risk for the health of other passengers, the crew and the safety of the aircraft and the cargo. Such items must be included at check-in as baggage and / or applied to them the relevant procedure to be accepted on board. Otherwise, the security staff can requisition. Security staff may also deny access to the boarding area and the aeroplane cabin to any passenger in possession of an object which, even if not considered forbidden, arouses their suspicions.
Do never check in or transport any luggage from unknown persons for your own safety and for the safety of other passengers.
Any object or item which constitute a risk for the health of other passengers, the crew and the safety of the aircraft and the cargo, must be included at check-in as baggage and / or applied to them the relevant procedure to be accepted on board. There is no a specify or definitive list of dangerous objects due of its ambiguity (rods, tripods, sports accessories ...). The final decision rests with the security staff. If you have doubts about some object, please access the security control with enough time in advance.
- General dangerous objects
- Pointed, sharp or blunt objects that could be used to intimidate, attack or threaten the safety.
- Other dangerous objects
- Any other which constitute a risk for the health of passengers or crew.
- Any other which constitute a risk the safety of the aircraft and the cargo.
Remember that if your airline accept some ambiguous items as hand luggage, maybe they not be admitted into the boarding area at later security controls.
Liquids and gel
In 2006 the European Union established a series of restrictions concerning transport of liquids and gels on board of aircrafts.
These restrictions apply to all passengers, departing from airports of the European Union, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland - independent of their countries of destination. The limitations refer to the quantity of liquids or products of a similar consistency, passengers are allowed to transport in their hand luggage.
The regulations allow passengers to take liquids in their hand luggage, under the condition that:
- The liquids must be transported in individual containers with a capacity of less than 100 ml.
- These containers must be carried in a resealable, transparent plastic bag (for its easy inspection), with a capacity of not more than 1 litre. Maximum one bag per passenger.
The following list indicates the kind of liquids you may transport in your hand luggage as long as meet the conditions:
- Water and other beverages
- juice, soup, syrup, the content of baby bottles, yoghurt, body lotion, baby food.
- Food or special liquids
- for medical diets or special nutrition.
- Paste and creams
- toothpaste, cream and lotion, oil, perfume..
- Shower gel, shampoo and hair gel..
- Pressurized containers (aerosol or sprays):
- deodorant, shaving cream, hair cosmetic, hairspray, and other products of similar consistency.
These limitations apply only to products, the passengers bring with them. Passengers can purchase these liquids after passing the security checkpoints, in the duty free shops of the airport and also on board of the aircraft. If you buy these products in sealed bags, please don't open them until you finished your journey. If you are planning to continue your journey from another airport of the European Union, don't open the sealed bag until you have left the last airport, member of the EU.
These security measurements only affect the luggage you carry with you inside the aircraft or in your hand luggage. All previously mentioned articles can be transported in your checked luggage.
Chemical and toxic substances
The following articles may neither be transported in your hand luggage, nor stored in the luggage department:
- Acids and alkalis (for example, wet batteries that could cause spills).
- Corrosive or whitening substances (mercury, chlorine, etc.).
- Disabling or incapacitating sprays (mace, pepper spray, tear gas, etc.).
- Radioactive material (for example, isotopes for medical or commercial use).
- Infectious materials or those that constitute a biological hazard (for example, contaminated blood, bacteria or viruses).
- Material capable of spontaneous ignition or combustion.
- Fire extinguishers.
Security authorities may deny the transport of any hold luggage, containing an article arousing their suspicion, even if it is not listed.
If you have to travel with solid medication we recommend to take it in your hand luggage. You should accompany your medication with a corresponding receipt, a medical prescription or a specified statement about the passenger's health condition, in case the security staff so requires.
All liquid medication is excluded from the restrictions, affecting the transport of liquids in hand luggage, if its usage is indispensable for the passenger during the journey and possible extensions: outward flight + stay + return flight.
Even if the regulations for liquids do not apply in this case, all liquid medication should be demonstrated to the security staff, apart from the transparent plastic bag, used for the transport of other liquids.
In case that you need to transport other types of medical devices such as syringes for diabetics, measurement devices, etc., we recommend you to get the correspondent information about the specific regulations of your airline company prior to your flight.
All objects described hereinafter may not be transported as hand luggage and must therefore be checked in.
- Any type of firearms: pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, etc.
- Replica or imitation firearms or blank cartridges.
- Firearm parts (except ordinary or telescopic sights).
In case that you intend to transport firearms, you should contact the Department of Central Inspection for Arms and Explosives at the airport, in order to receive the corresponding authorization. All kind of firearms should be wrapped in an appropriate case. They will be returned to you at the Department of Central Inspection for Arms and Explosives at your destination airport, provided that you received the necessary authorization at your airport of departure..
Other types of weapons
- Air pistols, air rifles and pellet guns.
- Signal flare pistols.
- Starter pistols.
- Toy guns of all types (BB gun, etc.).
- Industrial bolt and nail guns.
- Crossbows, slings, harpoon and spear guns.
- Slaughterhouse guns or devices that stun or provoke shock, such as cattle prods or laser guns.
- Cigarette lighters or other lighters that imitate firearms.
Department Weapons and Explosives Inspection ("Intervenció d'Armes")
The intervention of weapons and explosives Inspection is carried out on the premises of the Civil Guard police (Guàrdia Civil) at the airport.
Terminal T3 level 1, check in hall.
Telephon weapons and explosives Inspection: (+34) 952 974 643.
Security forces at the airport: Guardia Civil and Police, see complementary passengers services.
Get additional information about forbidden articles in your hand luggage or your checked baggage at aeropuertosenred.com .